conventional means, I am new to this arena so excuse me if i do not
understand the engine capabilities. Thank you
rtopf
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Topf

Response to Stirling engine power

Post by rtopf »

Hello Gary,

Home electric power generation is one area where Stirling type engines could be much better than internal combustion types. Since power density (the size and weight per watt output) is much less an issue with stationary engines a Sirling could be more efficient than other heat engines. The bonus is that they are quiet, clean running and low maintainence. They can use a variety of fuels and even solar.

Unforntuetly, no one in USA is offering a engine sized for single family homes. Wispergen of NZ is selling a combined heat and power unit in other countries but they are still fairly expensive.

Right now you would be advized to take some equity out of your home and buy a photovotalic system. With rising gas prices, they will be a good hedge until our economy wakes up to more efficient and clean power generation.

Rick

stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Stirling engine power

Post by stan.hornbaker »

There are a few DIY Stirling engine designs that might be applicapable. Your inquiry omitted the KW capacity required.

Any Stirling engine runs on a temperature differential and requires sources of heat and cooling. In genertal large power output requires large temperature differences.

The selection of the power source for a generator should be selected to be most appriopriate for the application, duty cycle and/or anticipated usage.

Ready to run Stirling engines are not available "off the shelf" as yet. A few companies are building CHP [Combined Heat & Power] units for UK and some ruropean utilites to sell/lease to their customers. Nztural gas runs the unit to produce electrical output and the waste heat heats the dwelling.