Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
pwtay
First Name: Wendell
Last Name: Taylor

Need help finding identity of engine

Post by pwtay »

My grandfather gave me this engine when I was eight (8) years old (1949). He was given the engine when he was eight (8) years old. He was born in 1891. The engine is mounted on a board approx. 12 inches by 5 3/4 inches. It has a stack under which sets a small wick burner that burns de-natured alcohol. This flam heats a cylinder containing a piston which is tied to a flywheel. After thr cylinder heats a bit, the flywheel is spun and the engine continues to run. The hotter the heat the faster it goes. Alongside the flywheel is a pulley that can be coupled to a larger pulley (by cord) which is on a common shaft supported by two towers. This shaft has other pulleys which can be coupled(by cord) to two toys(most likely had others when new), a wooden (2 rollers ) clothes wringer and a man strumming a banjo. I have ran the engine many times and it is in very good condition. Will try to attach a picture. I am trying to find out when it was made and by whom. No markings of any kind are to be found on this engine. Hope you can help! Thank You, Wendell Taylor
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Need help finding identity of engine

Post by stan.hornbaker »

This does sound like it is a Stirling engine. A photo can be uploaded to the public files area. Identify it with your name and post message that you have done so. An effort will be made to see if anyone can identify it.
pwtay
First Name: Wendell
Last Name: Taylor

Post by pwtay »

Up-loaded photo to the gallery with the heading{Need help finding identity of engine).
jgroves467
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Groves

Post by jgroves467 »

Your engine looks a lot like one shown on (www.hotairengines.com) web site (Photo Gallery) Page 1 of photos with description.
It sure is a super neat looking engine in great condition.
jgroves467
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Groves

Post by jgroves467 »

Your engine looks a lot like one shown on (www.hotairengines.com) web site (Photo Gallery) Page 1 of photos with description.
It sure is a super neat looking engine in great condition.