schiz0preni
First Name: Qamarul
Last Name: Hazimin

FLYWHEEL WEIGHT AND DIAMETER?

Post by schiz0preni »

some of members here said the weight of flywheel need to be
accurate,not too heavy and not too light..just enough to supply
inertia to the engine..but how can we determine or calculate what is
the correct weight of flywheel as well as the diameter?
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

FLYWHEEL WEIGHT AND DIAMETER?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Those comments are exactly right not knowing the details of construction, size, etc. You can make a guess, try it and try again until you hit on the right combination or supply details and let someone post some educated suggestions.

Are you simply making a design for a class assignment or building one for your amusement and the joy of accomplishment?
schiz0preni

Response to FLYWHEEL WEIGHT AND DIAMETER?

Post by schiz0preni »

i am a mechanical engineering student and i'm doing my final year project on Gamma Stirling Engine.Since the engine being tested and not working out so i've done some modification on the crank mechanism,volume of air distribution from displacer to the power piston and other things..but i think i might wanna change the flywheel,but need some help regarding of the diameter and the weight...

i tried to upload pictures of my Gamma Stirling Engine so that the other members can comment and give advices,but still couldn't make it
schiz0preni

Post by schiz0preni »

another question: which one is better,sprocket flywheel or solid flywheel with both have same mass,material and diameter?
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Post by bptdude___2569 »

Qamarul,

You ask funny questions! :)

As a mechanical engineer, you would know why somebody would go to all the trouble to put a large number of fine diameters spokes on a wheel, instead of something much simpler, like being solid.

So, they would not be the same diameter as well as the same weight, especially if they were the same material. If they were, such as you had a way of making very thin solid material that would be of so little weight to match the spokes, then yes, you have made it so there is no difference.

Perfectly clear, right?

*huge grins*

Two flywheels with the same spinning inertia force, are the same flywheel, just one more practical for a different mechanical setup then the other.

- Joe