It seems to me the the basic principle of the ac circuit is similar
to concept of a Stirling engine. What sort of problems can you run
into when converting a compressor into a Stirling engine
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Making a Stirling engine with automobile ac compressor

Post by stan.hornbaker »

An a/c system uses a fluid which involves a change of state, i.e. from vapor to liquid and back to vapor. This involves a compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and evaporator.

In contrast the Stirling engine uses a gaseous medium, usually air, helium, or hydrogen. The system may be pressurized. The gas is confined as a single volume. This volume is subjeced to heating, cooling, expansion, and contraction, in different portions of the single volume. The Stirling engine, however cannot be considered to be a compressor.

Even with adaptations an auto A/C compressor is not a likely candidate for conversion due to its mechanical design. Possible, not practical.
One piston i.c. engines have been modified to be the power piston in a Stirling engine.
volvonut2001
First Name: craig
Last Name: roop

Post by volvonut2001 »

I have been using the "york" a/c compressor block to build Stirling engines for several years.The york is a two cylinder unit,has provisions for water cooling already built in.I have made a twin beta,a ross yoke gamma,an alfa and gamma with regular crankshaft.It was fun,cheap and easy to do.
stirling___7614
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Nunley

Post by stirling___7614 »

craig roop,

Please contact me concerning this. I looked at your site (the link is misstyped BTW) and found no contact information.

Please email me at Stirling@ComputerImage.com as I am very interested in building a Stirling.

Thank you,
Bill