Silicon carbide for hot side components?

Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
lukew101
First Name: Luke
Last Name: Williams

Post by lukew101 »

Does anyone know if silicon carbide has been considered or used for
hot side components in Stirling engines? It seems like it could be an
ideal material, considering it's high sublimation point(2730C), it
doesn't melt, and high thermal conductivity.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

I have never hear of it being used in any Stirling engines. It is very hard to work with and would in my judgment be a suitable replacement for the materials currently in use.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Silicon carbide for hot side components?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

CORRECTION, The previous answer should read as follows:
I have never hear of it being used in any Stirling engines. It is very hard to work with and would in my judgment NOT be a suitable replacement for the materials currently in use.
jol.andre
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Jolicoeur

Response to Silicon carbide for hot side components?

Post by jol.andre »

Modern manufacturing techniques like CVD (chemical vapor-phase deposition) allow fabrication of many shapes from hard materials, that were impossible before. (Machining such parts just wouldn't be practical.)

Tubes and plates of various sizes are now commercially available, being made of the hardest materials like fused silica, sapphire (alumina) and even diamond. Probably SiC, too. Look for laboratory equipment suppliers, they sell chemical reaction tubes made from such materials.

By clever design one might locate the joints in cooler areas, allowing the use of ordinary adhesives.

Silicon carbide is very strong, temperature and oxidation resistant, but it is also brittle so there would be some safety issues when using it to build a pressurized vessel.

As a minimum, a resilient outer enclosure (i.e. made of steel) would be required to contain the debris in case the pressurized SiC parts shatter.