Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
djohns00
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Johnson

Solar Powered Ceramic Stirling Senior Project

Post by djohns00 »

I am a Junior Engineering student at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo CA.
My goal is to prototype my solar ceramic Stirling engine design. The
only problem is that there are no professors even remotely familiar
with Stirling engines. This is terribly frustrating and I am mainly
searching for some help verifying my design's worthiness. I work at
the California Energy Commission during the summer, but don't find
much help either due to fear of patent infringement. I feel this
design will work and I am hoping to patent it later on. If anyone
has any information concerning protecting my design pre-patent, I
would be very appreciative. Thank you -Dan
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Solar Powered Ceramic Stirling Senior Project

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The best information I have found up to now:
A pre-patent disclosure should be executed for for your protection.
Consult with a reliable patent attorney for advice and assistance.
davidorr
First Name: David
Last Name: Orr

Post by davidorr »

Sent an answer two days ago; it has not appeared yet. I am registered with US Patent Office (registration number 44,988). Best to file a provisional patent (cost $80). It will give you patent pending status and protection for up to 1 year. Primary requirements: An enabling disclosure- meaning: (1) labeled drawings showing all parts and their relationships; and (2) a description of how the parts work together to function as an engine. I am happy to give you additional advice and help (no cost, of course) if you are interested.
David Orr
davidorr

Post by davidorr »

I feel it necessary to add some additional information.
1. If you have not yet perfected the engine it might be prudent for you to wait until you are sure your design is workable. Under 35 USC 102(b) of the US Patent laws, you have up to one year to file after you have publically disclosed, used or offered your invention for sale. In order to not run afoul of this law, please make sure when you discuss the design with anyone, you have them sign a non-disclosure statement; it also is useful to make sure that if you obtain assistance that you have your help sign a "work-for-hire" agreement, otherwise they could become a co-inventor. 2. If you decide to file patents in the rest of the world, my advice will change somewhat; however be advised a patent in Europe or Japan will cost on the order of $20,000 to $30,000 by the time all the smoke has cleared.

I will be happy to send you a recipe for filing a provisional patent with all the required US Patent Office forms.
djohns00
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Johnson

Post by djohns00 »

wow thanks alot dave! very good info. i would like to see the provisional patent form sometime, since it will help me get a plan in order.
davidorr

Post by davidorr »

Dan; sent an example provisional patent for an invention as close to yours as I could find. Please use this as a guide. Labeled drawings are very important with description of parts (numbered, of course), and how they work together is VERY IMPORTANT. I will be happy to critique your drafts, and send filing forms when we have converged to a good specication that will protect your invention.
diatrieb
First Name: dale
Last Name: wofford

Post by diatrieb »

use a freznel lenses to direct the heat we were melting tungstan in the pirneenes mounts. in the 70s with simple freznel lenses. Look in to using the new gel coating nd sintering technologies and write me back I am into somemore good Ideas also I recently learn of a jet fuel that jpl was making use of, it was very hot and natural.I would also look ing the zirconium silica shift to optainthat all important 50%change in temp
prabakar___1509
First Name: Prabakar
Last Name: Pillai

Post by prabakar___1509 »

Dear Mr. Dan Johnson,
May I introduce myself as Prabakar at www.Stirling-motor.com who had read your request and the lack of information on solar Stirling engines, in this regards, I wish to inform you that there is a commercial ready solar energy driven 400We Stirling engine electric energy system for just as little as 8000 Euros by one Dr. habil Lutz Pasemann at www.epas-gmbh.com
I have worked with him and the other GURUS mentioned in my web site given above.
There are lots and lots of information and devices you could get off the shelf from these GREAT DEVELOPER mentioned in my site. Its only persons of your nature could bring “IT” the Stirling engine to the market.
Please do let me have your views.
Thanking you
Regards
Prabakar
www.Stirling-motor.com
Prabakar@kuc01.kuniv.edu.kw