have posted 6 pictures of it to the gallery in hopes that someone
could give me some more information. I'd very much like to know its
history and if it is a collectors item.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Found in the Attic # A Toy Steam Engine

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The artifact shown in the gallery photos is a toy steam engine, quite common in the 20's and 30's. The water gage at one end of the boiler is a dead giveaway, shows boiler 1/2 full ready to go.

Also the power cylinder and piston adjacent to the steam chamber and reciprocating valve confirm it's identity.

It would be of modest interest to a collector.
sable86
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Gonzalez

Response to Found in the Attic

Post by sable86 »

Thank your for your response Mr. Hornbaker. I was under the impression that it was an "electricaly heated hot air engine for use in driving moving shop window displays". That is what one of it "kin" was used for in 1927, acording to this web site: http://www.stirlingengines.org.uk/manuf ... /hot2.html

Would anyone have any suggestion on how to get the full history of this "little guy"? Should I try and contact The Metal Ware Corp? I hear they still exist. Also, I would like to determine its value, even to a modest collector. How would I go about doing that? Thank you all for you responses. They are greatly appreciated.
sisern
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Isern

Response to Found in the Attic

Post by sisern »

As a young boy in the early 60's, I was always delighted to play with the B30 steam engine my Dad had in the garage. Over the years, I had assumed my brother had acquired it. After Dad passed and while helping my Mother move, it was found in a storgage closet. I fired it up last nite and although it worked, it could use a few adjustments. Seems the release valve in the stack is weak and could use a new spring and washer. Also, I couldn't get the whisle to blow. If I recall as a youngster, it was very loud. Anyway, after a little searching on the internet, I was surprised to see your info. I haven't done too much searching, but haven't found much else. Please respond if you have found out any other info. Thanks! Scott