engine with a delta T of <10 C? Is it even physically possible to
get 100 watts, 10 kw, 100 kw if size is not an issue. And if so how
large would it have to be?
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Power Output Realative to Size

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Consider a 500MW steam-electric power plant. It's large, covers acres of land for the plant proper, coal storage, cooling towers/pond(s).
Next consider a Honda 5,000 W i.e. 5KW semi-portable generator set with a foot print about the size of a contractor' wheelbarrow.

Now what was the question you wanted an answer to?

Does size matter? Why of course it does, as does the delta T.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Low delta T engines

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Power output of any heat engine is a function/fraction of the heat input. The more heat energy that can be furnished to the engine the greater the power output possible. With a delta T of 10 C or 18 F you have the potential of power outputs on the order of a small fraction of 1 W. This generally is little more than enough to overcome friction losses in even the crude "tin can" model engines.

The building/assembling of a LTD is an educational experience. You might want to consider an MM-5 Coffee Cup Kit or one of the numerous tin can models to be found on the internet.

There is quite a bit of theoretical information available on this site to achieve a better understanding of Stirling engine operation. I would strongly suggest that you take advantage of it.