Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Cryo cooling Stirling engines

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Sorry Joe The American Stirling Co. provides the bbs Forum for discussions about Stirling Engines and sometimes peripheral similar machines but have no way to fund excursions into new waters/experiments.
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Post by bptdude___2569 »

The answer to his question, my idea with no moving parts, is considered a Stirling engine. On this BBS are other entries for the thermoacoustic type. And although the little lab models, and various industrial applications do not have an off-the-shelf model ready for his automobile application, surely what I said was true, and is considered a Stirling engine answer to his original question.

:)

- Joe
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The thermoacoustic tube engines use an alcohol flame as the heat source to drive the system and the cooling is in balance with the overall operation. I doubt that a practical model could be built to utilize the exhaust stream of an automobile.

The practical machines built by NASA and those for Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream use an electrical driver (loud) speaker to generate cooling for research purposes and Ice Cream display counters.

Cate's Twin Bird linear Stiring machines are electrical powered but can be run on a heat supply as I recall.