Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
sjdurgule
First Name: Satyavijay
Last Name: Durgule

flywheel

Post by sjdurgule »

How to know the flywheel design is proper for Stirling engine ?
rtopf
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Topf

Response to flywheel

Post by rtopf »

This would be difficult to determine without knowing more about your engine design, but you can find a size range that works based on how the engine reacts.

If it is way too big... the engine will not develop enough power to sustain the cycle and will stop after initial inertia input is gone.

If it is a little too big... the engine will not develop high speed but may turn slowly.

If it is too small, the engine will run slow and "clunky" with barely enough inertia to sustain the rotation. It will move noticeably faster on the power stroke.

If it is way too small... the engine won't run because the engine friction is more that the inertia and power stroke forces.

Roughly, a fast flick of the wrist should be enough to supply enough inertia to carry the engine through 3 or 4 cycles. If it changing the size doesn't help, the problems is with internal friction, leaky pistons, or poor heat exchanger function.

Rick Topf
sjdurgule
First Name: Satyavijay
Last Name: Durgule

Response to flywheel

Post by sjdurgule »

Thanks to Rick Topf. With your guidence I come to know how much cycle should be completed by flywheel before giving heat. With your suggestion I tested successfully my first gama type Stirling engne.
Thanks once again !