timwylie
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wylie

Dean Kamen's Stirling engine

Post by timwylie »

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business ... 2007073110

Does anyone know where a similar type of Stirling can be produced. I
have scoured the board and internet and have essentially come up
empty. Even a 100-500 watt one would be appreciated. Thanks.
rtopf
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Topf

Response to Dean Kamen's Stirling engine

Post by rtopf »

Tim,

There are several avaliable but you need $10,000 or more for them.

Try googling:
Sunpower
Infina
Whispertech

Rick
timwylie
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wylie

Post by timwylie »

Thanks for the response. I've seen at least one of those. They just seemed pretty large, and I was looking for a smaller power producing one. It's okay though, I think I'll just use a small efficient diesel for the application I have. Definitely more affordable. :)
Tim
dlandre
First Name: lee
Last Name: andre

Post by dlandre »

Dean is promoting this engine in the Think car, but I can not find its weight and power output. It would seem that the heat balance details would be known. I looked at his company's web site and there were no details on the surface there either. The idea of hauling and engine around in an electric car, 7 days a week, just so you can drive out of town on Sat. is not effecient. It would be better to leave the engine at home most of the time where it can co-gen for the house engery needs and operate over night to recharge the car. could Dean put the engine in a container that would add to the areodymanics of the car when attached, be at home most of the time, especially in cold weather. Lee Andre
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Dean Kamen is long on promotion and short when it comes down to the nitty gritty details of weights, HP, fuel, etc.
The Stirling engine is expensive to design, fabricate, and not the most efficient engine available for any given task.

I'll standby until something more concrete is reported in the public press and/or professional publications.