Forum rules
Be nice!
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Response to powering a Stirling engine with HHO generator

Post by bptdude___2569 »

Hi Catherine,

Might as well post my email, somehow other people are finding me!
:)

Thank you very much, I would be very interested in the SunPower video. Lots of people had high hopes for the SunPower design being used in the MicroGen.

I googled up the MicroGen and SunPower, and saw the project for the MicroGen CHP was terminated.

http://www.delta-ee.com/downloads/Microgen.pdf

It came down to the Stirling costing too much to produce for what it gave back, even with production being done in Europe by larger commercial manufacturers who would license the technology.

Seems this is the fate of Stirlings, neat idea, but not worth the money, except in a niche where nothing else will quite do.

Oh, my email:

bptdude@hotmail.com

Oh, I checked your profile on this web. Nice airplane! You must enjoy it very much. I love my motorcycle, and could only imagine it with wings!

The Sumpower systems seem quite well designed by professionals.

http://www.sunpower.com/lib/sitefiles/p ... ochure.pdf

It would be interesting to take such a mature design, such as the EG-1000, kilowatt model, and just play with finding unusual heat sources to see what would make it go without normal fuel.

tvsalva
First Name: anthony
Last Name: salvatore

Post by tvsalva »

I contacted sunpower about how much a EG 1000 would cost. He said between $50 and $100,000. Thats insane. has anyone else found an affordable Stirling engine?
jonhyam
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Hyam

Post by jonhyam »

Tom, I was wondering the same. I am looking at what if's. One of them is What if there was a world power outage caused by sun spot activity. It happened over 100 years ago but we were not dependant on electricity then. There is a small domestic CHP unit coming on the UK market later this year. Fired by gas and creating 1kw of electricity. In the UK if the power goes off the gas does too. But if you could switch to HHO you would still have all the services you need. It may not be efficient but it is survival. Has any one ciome up with any figures?
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Use the electric output of a Stirling engine generator to dissociate 2H2 & O2 from water to burn to run the Stirling engine? Don't you know that it will take MORE energy to dissociate the water to gasses than the energy realized to burn to run the Stirling engine generator?

Totally impossible proposition.
david_mathews
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Mathews

Post by david_mathews »

HI all, if u google Stirling engines , u will find more info than u can absorb. The Stirling engine is about as efficent as any low end IC engine. However, I have converted a 2 stroke enine to Stirling and it works quite well. I don't care about efficentcy (spelling !) because 1: i can make methane, 2: i can use soloar energy, 3: I can
make alcohol,etc.....if u analyze this too death nothing will ever get accomplished, people tried to talk Tesla's inventions to death also and eveytime u hit the switch his invention lights up ur house.
Just a thought.......