Does Somebody know this kind of Solar-powered Stirling engines ?

Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
antoinetronel
First Name: Antoine
Last Name: TRONEL

Does Somebody know this kind of Solar-powered Stirling engines ?

Post by antoinetronel »

Hello,

I'm looking for a outdoor solar-powered Stirling engine stations to
be used in Africa (exactly in Sahel).

- The energie supplied must be available 24h/24h and 7 days/7 days.
What requires very good battery bank for working night and weak
period of sunshine

- The installation must be strong, easy to install and to maintain

- The electric capacity which the system has to supply is about 10A
Has it three-phase in normal regime.

- The capacity of the station has to be of 30A for the starting up
of equipments (air conditioners, rectifiers, electronic bays...)
which ask for a big current of call u starting up.

Looking for your information. Thanks in advance.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to Does Somebody know this kind of Solar-powered Stirling engines ?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Regretfully there is nothing on the market or likely to be in the foreseeable future that could fulfill the specifications you expect for your projected system
antoinetronel
First Name: Antoine
Last Name: TRONEL

Post by antoinetronel »

Is there something closer to what I'm looking for ?
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Post by bptdude___2569 »

Hello Antoine,

I had to actually look up Sahel.

"It is a transitional ecoregion of semi-arid grasslands, savannas, steppes, and thorn shrublands lying between the wooded Sudanian savanna to the south and the Sahara to the north.[1] The countries of the Sahel today include Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, and Eritrea."

Yes, this is a region that would benifit greatly from a commecial solar powered installations. The entire strip across Africa will someday be lit up by self powered villages and road stops. But not today.

I liked your requirements, it matches the needs of a typical medium size compound.

This web site is devoted to one particular variation of heat engines, known as the Stirling engine. It has a well known theoretical advantage never realized in actual engines. It is my personal belief it has unique properties that will result in this general design to be the dominant basic heat engine cycle type, when the day comes that the flip is finally made to renewable energy generation globally.

The engine you will hear about hear for the next year or so, pending some other breakthrough, is an ST-5. It is a small 5HP Stirling initially designed for burning rice husk at globally rural rice farms.

There are other solutions, you may be intersted in. A company, Hamilton, makes a new unit, about your commercial need in size, that takes solar, and uses a steam generator to make power. To my astonishment, the removed a huge fuel cell generator the size of a railroad car, at their main plant, to install this power unit for a demonstration.

They removed the giant fuel cell because of the cost of commercial fuel, such as natural gas, used to manufacture the hydrogen required. The irony is, the new power plant could produce the required hydrogen. And the new power plant is being ridiculed because it does not produce power at night, and there is not enough batteries that could be bought to hold the energy.

The idea light bulb just has not clicked on yet for even the big professional corporate players. I have not words yet to change this. When the great awaking happens, and solar powered heat engines break out all over the world in a hurry, check back here. People may then be ready to listen to why the Stirling should be used.

Good luck, until then.

- Joe McLean