WhisperGen Stirling 850W generator unit?

Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
scottg
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Scott

WhisperGen Stirling 850W generator unit?

Post by scottg »

I've been watching the WhisperGen unit on the web. Anyone have
experience with it? It claims to be a 850W AC generator with usable
hot water output. See:

http://www.whispertech.co.nz/index.html
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to WhisperGen Stirling 850W generator unit?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

I had an email recently from a gentleman in New Zealand who had the opportunity to examine one installed on a yacht.

"There are of course no shortage of Stirling Engines or applications for them. The only problem is that current (reciprocating) designs are hopelessly uneconomic. I have recently examined at a local boat show the WhisperGen being sold commercially now for combined power and hot water generation in Yachts. The engine is very ingeneous and nicely made, and is fairly quiet. At $22,000 for an 800 watt model, (versus $18,000 for a 5,000 watt conventional diesel alternative) it is also HOPELESSLY uneconomic. It is this economic aspect that all the Stirling Engines have so far failed badly, and it is one I hope we can fix by inventing simpler, purely rotary versions."

If you have further interest, look at the MicroGen unit which is reciprocating but without the rotary components of the WhisperGen. www.microgen.com

s/Stan
paul.king
First Name: Paul
Last Name: King

Post by paul.king »

Powergen a UK subsidiary of E.on have recently entered into a deal to put 80,000 whispertech units into the UK market as domestic boiler replacements. This was after an extensive trialing process. Unit now has figures of 1.2kW(e) and 8kW heat. To the best of my knowledge this is the first large scale commercial application of Stirling technolgy to the market. The order volume is will clearly support proper mass production. Peformance reports have been good, Some concerns came up about 8Kw heat being enough to warm a house from a cold start.
andrew.frazer
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Frazer

Post by andrew.frazer »

How crazy would it be to try to convert one of these to run on solar energy?
lindsay.mann
First Name: lindsay
Last Name: mann

Post by lindsay.mann »

William S Hornbaker, I am afraid is showing some ignorance here due to his obviously steadfast grip on traditional generating technology.
The DC (12 or 24V- not AC take note Mr Scott) WhisperGen is part of a heat and power system designed for marine leisure craft in the 30'to 60' size (monohull) It uses the DC "buffer" concept whereupon the main battery bank becomes the energy source for all electrical loads, AC and DC, and the WhisperGen replenishes the batteries when their capacity falls to a preset value. Its 70 Amp @ 12V output is more than enough to accomplish this. The only difference is the time taken in charging as against a loud, smelly AC genset with charger.
We have around 400-500 units all over the world supplying all the energy needs for yachts of cruising size. A ample supply of piping hot water delivered while the unit is operating is an added and much appreciated advantage.
AC gensets work on a peak power output while the WhisperGen works on a daily average. As far as economics are concerned, the unit is over 90% fuel efficient, around 0.7Lt of diesel per hr. The minimal maintenance required (5oo hour checkover as against oil and filter,etc every 50hrs makes the system decidely economic over a 2-3 year time frame.
Do your homework before bad mouthing a superb piece of engineering Mr Hornbaker!
amos
First Name: Amos
Last Name: Jessup

Post by amos »

DOes anyone know what the temperature delta between the high and low temp sides of this
unit are in day-to-day operation?

Amos
jol.andre
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Jolicoeur

Post by jol.andre »

The current website for MicroGen is microgen-engine.com