What kind of Stirling engine models I can use in big factory ?

Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
zjasiul
First Name: Zbyszek
Last Name: Jasiulewicz

Post by zjasiul »

hello!

I'm Zibi and I'm looking forward of intormation

and if it possible how expensive they are??????

why make this kind of engine????

for any help thanx!!!!!!!!
parias
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Arias

Response to What kind of Stirling engine models I can use in big factory ?

Post by parias »

There is a company in the U.S., Stirling Advantage, that is seeking funding to build a Stirling for such a purpose. The design and simulation work for a demo unit is complete. I believe they are contemplating early units of 200kW-1MW. Unforunately, it has proven difficult to get funding for new engine designs in this economy. STM Power amazingly just raised ~$30Mn from private sources less than one month ago, but that company is focusing on smaller 55kW units operating at much higher temperatures and pressures. The technical challenges that the company must overcome are very challenging (similar to Capstone's microturbines), and it already has spent millions of dollars in development.

Since many industrial sites tend to already take advantage of high temperature waste heat resources, Stirling Advantage is gearing its design toward medium waste heat recovery applications. The company claims that its design would avoid the harsh operating conditions of traditional stirlings and still have a payback period of ~2 years. If they are right, their techno-economic proposition appears to be quite attractive.

I would contact the company (www.stirlingadvantage.com) directly if you would be interested in doing a project together. Its management seems to think it can put together a full scale demonstration unit at a very reasonable cost since the design eschews exotive, expensive materials. The technical team appears to be quite pragmatic when it comes to cost considerations.

Best,
-p
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Response to What kind of Stirling engine models I can use in big factory ?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

There are no Stirling engines currently in production for general purpose applications. Those in current production are for special applications and are not readily adaptable to general purpose use. The prices are not competive with general purpose motors/engines.