Stirling engines used to generate electricity from wood burning stoves

Post by synapticconnections___9380 »

Does anyone know of a commercially available product that uses a
Stirling engine to generate electricity using a woodburning stove as
the power source?
tokol13
First Name: David
Last Name: Davis

Response to Stirling engines used to generate electricity from wood burning stoves

Post by tokol13 »

I would also be very interested in information regarding a proprietary generator using woodfuel - I wrote recently seeking technical advice on uses of a Stirling combined with a charcoal retort as a possible solution to providing small scale poer generarion in rural locations in the 3rd world - I have not had any success in finding existing equipment and have embarked on a design and build project myself - this really is not my field so if you do find any info on "off the shelf" equipment I would apopreciate your passing it on - or failing this i would be happy to swap notes
synapticconnections___5538
First Name: bernard
Last Name: barnes

Response to Stirling engines used to generate electricity from wood burning stoves

Post by synapticconnections___5538 »

Thanks David, im sorry to hear that you've had no response. It soulds on the surface to be such a great idea, it is surprising that it has not yet been developed. I'm afraid I can contribute nothing to your project, but if I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Bernard
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Electricity? from Wood Burning Stoves

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The only Stirling powered device manufactured to run on old fashioned cook stove tops (wood or coal) is the "Lake Breeze" made in Canada. Sells in the $200 to $300 CN range. The fan blade is something like 12" or 14" and is used to circulate warm air throughout a small woodsland cabin. See URL and links at:

http://www.moderntradingpost.com/freebreeze/index.html

It is not likely to have enough power to generate more than a few watts of electricity.
daveweilacher
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Weilacher

Post by daveweilacher »

So this fan, 15 inches in diameter can move 200 cubic feet of air per minute. How much work is that? (in watts, hopefully)
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

There are no 'off the shelf' Stirling engines to operate on a wood/coal burning stove. A custom designed and manufactured engine would be too expensive to consider and in addition the power output would be inadequate except for very small requirements.
d.jinkerson
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Jinkerson

Post by d.jinkerson »

200 cfm would be about 15 watts. Hope this helps.
otje112
First Name: leon
Last Name: van der bend

Post by otje112 »

Hi I had the same idea here in france while we all have woood burning stoves ,i'm in the proces off building a Stirling engine woodburning stove to get some free electricity and if i succeed with a nice rendement i will be contacting some producers i will let you know the outcome
worldtechnology2002
First Name: jaime
Last Name: pinzon

Post by worldtechnology2002 »

yo nesecito 10watts en 12 voltios , uds creem que podria utilizar este producto
robin-mccabe
First Name: Robin
Last Name: McCabe

Post by robin-mccabe »

you may be looking at the wrong end of the heat source. The waste heat up the flue in a outdoor boiler has to be 500 to 700 degrees.

the water heat is intentionaly limited, so as to not get into a boiling (steam, pressure) situation, but there is more than enough energy available, it is just being wasted up the flue.

if someone can gernerate power in the flue, these outdoor boilers, would become very usefull, right now they are a bit of a toy, because owners are still dependant upon the power grid, to move the hot water into the house.