a battery bank and solar panels, however, come the fall/winter time,
our solar bank doesn't produce enough power to recharge the
batteries. Is there a Stirling Engine that will produce that much
power, and run off of our waste vegetable oil? (being converted into
bio-diesel)
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Power Sysstem (40 KW Stirling Generator?)

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Unfortunately there are no "off the shelf" Stirling engine powered generators available now nor in the foreseeable near term. There are some larger units, built on order, at prohibitive costs for all but special applications.
n1
First Name: Leif
Last Name: Nyberg

Response to Power System

Post by n1 »

Obviously when there is a need for powerproducing stirlings, a market. Why aren't those kind of stirlings available?

I have a small one with a fan. It runs well just by the heat from my hand, -or very well- in the sunlight concentrated and focused by a "HOE" (an holographic optical element). It might be possible to develop that concept further. Anyone interested?

/ Leif Nyberg
stan.hornbaker

Response to Power System

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Power producing Stirling engines are very expensive on a KW basis.
There are few manufacturers will to expend the developement time and money for the anticipated return.

In reagard to a low temperature difference hand held SE fan it most likely does not generate enough air flow to blow out a candle larger than one for a birthday cake, if that. You mentioned a HOE. Is it not a Fresnel lens? A sheet of clear plastic with concentric ridges that focuses sunlight like a magnifying glass?
n1
First Name: Leif
Last Name: Nyberg

Response to Power System HOE

Post by n1 »

Well, a hand-held Stirling-fan can hardly blow out a single candle. That's true. However by concentrating sunenergy with a "holographic parabolic mirror" towards the SE, I did notice an increase in fan-speed. I did bring the SE in focus of the HOE (a holographic film lit by sunlight).

Everyone knows how easy it is to start a fire with help of a magnifying glass. With a hologram it is possible to make a virtual lens.

"A holographic mirror act like any regular mirror". Holographic optical elements HOE's are virtual and might be useful in purpose to handle solar-energy, light. For example, HOE's can be found in certain webcams. Or in the Hubble space-telescope.
robbinson
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Robbinson

Response to Power System

Post by robbinson »

I've been in touch with these people. They developed the power producing ST-5 which generates about 5hp I believe. They've licensed a Japanese manufacturer to make the unit. Niki has said they will have demo models in the US by the end of the year. No pricing yet.

Niki Morris
Web Administrator
UltimateAir Products
Stirling Technology, Inc.
178 Mill St.
Athens, OH. 45701

800.535.3448 toll free
740.594.2277 office
740.592.1499 fax

Breathe easier with the #1-rated
energy recovery ventilator!
http://www.ultimateair.com
stan.hornbaker

Response to Power System

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Expect the Japanese built ST-5 to be "pricey." Cost per KW will most likely make it suitable for use in remote areas where conventional mechanical/electrial power sources are prohibitive cost wise.

The Southeast Asia Rice Hull Project used the ST-5 as the prototype for a rice hull fueled Stirling engine to run a rice mill. Several were build using materials availabe locally. The overall idea being to make a self sutaining village operation by provided hulled rice and disposing of the hulls in the village.