Be nice!
schiz0preni
First Name: Qamarul
Last Name: Hazimin

Friction test?

Post by schiz0preni »

if i don't have dynamometer to check my engine's friction power,what
is the simple way or method to calculate engine's friction
power?please give me the detail of procedures...thanx!!
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Friction test?

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Vent the engine to atmosphere. Wrap several turns of string or flexible wire around the flywheel or a drum attached to the flywheel and add weights to determine the force required to turn the engine over. The radius of the flywheel or drum times the weight gives the friction product of weight and distance equals force or torque.
schiz0preni

Response to Friction test?

Post by schiz0preni »

i believe that only will give STATIC FRICTION POWER instead of DYNAMIC FRICTION POWER because the engine does not running..have u got any idea about inertia test?i've came across about the inertia test and this link (http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/950028) provides some procedure on how to calculate friction power by inertia test,but unfortunately i dont really understand the equation given in that paper..do you mind to elaborate on that?
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The piece published at the referenced URL is only an abstract. You would have to purchase the complete document for the full details and what each symbol in the equations relates to.

What and why the interest in the subject? Are you writing a Thesis or a Technical Paper for publication or what? I'm afraid I'm not of much help
schiz0preni

Post by schiz0preni »

yup!i'm developing a Gamma Stirling engine for my final year project as a final year student of mechanical engineering..the development still incomplete without knowing how much friction power it generates.Unfortunately,in my university engine lab the dynamometer broken down and need time to repair..

have u read the article/abstract in that URL?i could not understand more about the equation on how they relate the deceleration to friction power..THANX again sir!