Forum rules
Be nice!
patrick_clem
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Clem

the Stirling and Hydrogen production

Post by patrick_clem »

Would there be any advantage in the production of hydrogen using the
heat produced for running a Stirling engine???
My goal is to run a 3.5Kw Stirling system by solar power as well as a
bio-reactor for hydrogen production. I'm looking for ways to integrate
the two of them and gain any advantage possible.
I have a 1 acre area for my dish/Stirling system/bio-generator and a
1/2 acre pond for the base algae production. I'm in the planing stages
and will be until Ive exhausted all avenues of research.
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

the Stirling and Hydrogen production

Post by stan.hornbaker »

Question: Where are you going to obtain a 3.5Kw Stirling engine??
There are NONE available on the open market and even a small one requires experience in the engineering design of such.

Q-2. How do you expect to integrate a Stirling with a bio reactor?
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Response to the Stirling and Hydrogen production

Post by bptdude___2569 »

Q2 is easy.

you are integrating the bio machine and the Stirling engine by means of both producing a common clean energy interface that only needs the simplest of internal combustion engines to exhaust only water vapor.

Q1 - where the heck did you get such a machine? if you really had one, you would not waste your acerage on bio grown materials, if you lived in a dry sunny place.

There is not enough land on earth to produce enough energy by bio, and the land is needed for food.

solar collected hydrogen uses vast open areas not really used for anything, and by the math, can supply multiple times the entire human currrent consumption.

Please post where to buy this engine. I will rush to the line to buy one, along withe everybody else.

cchagnot
First Name: Catherine
Last Name: Chagnot

Post by cchagnot »

Joe,

With your response to Q2; We've done serious studies and this issue and it is, of course, an
important one. Much of the food grown in many places, especially Asia requires irrigation.
In the Philippines and Thailand the husk from the milled rice is left as total waste. In other
countries such as Bangladesh it's used to do the par-boiling of the rice prior to milling.
The ST-5 5HP engine needs only 20% of the husk to run a mill for instance and the waste
heat from the exhaust and the reject section can be used to do the par-boiling.
Any introduction of a Biomass engine, be it Stirling or other must be accompanied by
serious projects that ensure replacement fuel without loss of crop land.
We've focused mainly on irrigation as our first use of the ST-5. Many want to simply
generate electricity which must be done with careful planning of resource (land/forest)
sustainability.

Catherine
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Post by bptdude___2569 »

Catherine is totally correct, in that in the countries she is working with, they have bio waste that can be used to do things like pump water and preheat product, these are examples of positive feedback for a system, and should be encouraged.