Moderator: stan.hornbaker

Forum rules
Be nice!
mason1
First Name: chris
Last Name: messon

Response to 3-5 kw Stirling for solar application

Post by mason1 »

Is any one selling Stirling engines out there????? please e-mail mason1@columbiawireless.ca
stan.hornbaker
First Name: William S.
Last Name: Hornbaker

Post by stan.hornbaker »

The current availability of Stirling engines is about the same as always. If you could buy one it would cost more that any other means of providing the desired power to drive a generator.
Other Heat engines are cheaper, simpler, and can accomplish the same ends.
mimarob
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Brage

Post by mimarob »

Does it really have to be a Stirling engine?

There are plenty of heat engines that might be cheaper and the efficiency of real Stirling engines does never approach the theoretical efficiency anyway.

luc.rolland
First Name: Luc
Last Name: Rolland

Post by luc.rolland »

After a lot of investigation, I have found that this will cost you 10 euros per Watt. Indeed, the Stirling engine needs to be designed a lot cheaper that what seems to be now available. We have already found cheap ways to design CSPs, we are now looking into the different hot air engines. If anyone knows a supplier of reasonnably priced engines, I am interested, otherwise we will again find ways to get costs down and improve efficiency.
jimbethd
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Dixon

Post by jimbethd »

Although my suggestion is not a solar application info on a 5 HP functioning Stirling engine can be found at www.Stirling-tech.com
I think it can deliver 3-5 KW of electricity and pump good quantities of water using a variety of fuels. There is a series of photos also. Jim Dixon (Australia)
bptdude___2569
First Name: Joe
Last Name: McLean

Post by bptdude___2569 »

I went to the web site.
Very cool to see a nice web for the ST-5.
It must be getting close.
Very cool pics page.
I wish there was more of the insides of the engine.
Lots of old ones and models, too.

I was watching the pics of the belt systems running and the water pumps.

It occurred to me, the ST-5 would be especially good where the direct belt drive could be used instead of making generic power.

One example might be a large athletic dome stadium. Using the sun to turn the ST-5, and having a number of ST-5's turning venting fans. For major event places, I am sure expensive electric fans that crank at a switch would be nice.

But think of another place, that could be left on all the time, for daily use, maybe a train station. When the sun shines, and it is hot, fans automatically turn.

:)

- Joe
cyaslvictor
First Name: victor
Last Name: sabate

Post by cyaslvictor »

I am interested in do an installation of Stirling system for conexion to grid in Spain. We are manufacturer of sun tracker, but we need a partner, for send us Stirling generators. The inversors they are interested in 2.500.000 € plant with the sistem of Stirling.

The intalation they want that to be in Spain.

The price/W that we need it is 1,20€

Thanks for all and bye.